Real Estate Charts
Providence, Rhode Island
The above chart estimates the market value of today's median-priced Providence, Rhode Island metropolitan area house from 1976 until present. The red line represents inflation-adjusted house prices. The blue line represents nominal house prices.
Recommended housing bubble blogs
- Policy and Economy (My blog)
- Patrick.net - The housing crash continues
- Realty Check with Diana Olick
Data sources and methodology
- Latest quarterly, median, existing, single-family home price provided by the National Association of Realtors.
- Trailing house price index data provided by the Federal Housing Finance Agency.
- Inflation data provided by the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland and the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
The chart on this page estimates the market value of today's median-priced house over time. The trailing nominal prices are derived by taking the recent median price of existing single-family homes, as reported by the National Association of Realtors, and discounting it by the FHFA House Price Index. The FHFA HPI is a "constant quality" index, so even though houses are built larger today than they were many years ago, this graph automatically adjusts for this variation. The trailing inflation-adjusted prices are then derived by adjusting the nominal prices by the CPI-U Research Series Using Current Methods. Prior to Q4 1977, the CPI - All Items Less Shelter is used.